Friday, June 7, 2013

My thoughts about "The Big Sleepout (Lifewise) by Linda Coles"


Linda Coles from LinkedIn wrote this title: "I will be Homeless and I's Scared" It was a very interesting topic so I went to have a read.. 

It brought me to tears in the end, to realize how it feels like to be homeless and to remember the show THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS when Will Smith (actor) have to lock himself and his son in the public toilet (LRT Wash room) to have a night rest when the janitor was knocking and wanting to bang the door down.. It was heart breaking and when ever I remember that scene, it's just so depressing and sad.. I never want to see anyone, none - people I know or people I do not know, to have to go through this.. Perhaps some people do prefer to live in the streets for what ever reasons. (There are, and we will never understand why unless we listen to them i guess..)

Linda Coles took part in an event called THE LIFEWISE BIG SLEEPOUT, which runs for 1 night in several cities around the world, and all in aid of bringing awareness to the plight of the homeless. I was thinking to myself like... WOW!!! that's really something new to me?? someone actually organized a sleepout? Why Malaysia no do such things? (coz Malaysia too dangerous to do such things... LOL.. true also right? look at the current crime rates in certain places in KL.. one of my youth's friend don't even dare to go out of her house and throw rubbish ler..* that's a bit extreme lar but that is the reason for her not to throw trash at night.. xD I am sure some of you accepts her wisdom, while some feels it's an overreaction from a teen..) Anyway, other safer countries may have done it before and I would love to join.. 

Imagine bringing my whole family sleeping on the road side of KL city.. me and my 2 kids may be thrilled in the beginning, obviously my husband will be cool about it if he is there (because he will either do it or not do it at all kinda person, so if he does it, he will do his best to be positive.. no grumpiness is allowed! LOL) Right when my kids starts to get tired and sleepy.. nah.. that will be the time that all hell break loose I tell you.. The kid's tantrums will affect our mood most definitely.. we always try to be cool in public but it is a ranging fire within us, trust me.. it takes a lot of self control not to stand up and scream at my kids in public. 

Anyway, I'd like to see this happen one day in my life time, in my country.. When it is safer for us to do so in public, to allow ourselves and our children to taste and to know how it feels like to be homeless..  What do you think?


No comments: